Why is there a wiwj at the end in the kinetic energy expression?

In summary, the kinetic energy for angular momentum can be expressed as T = 1/2 * sum of I_ij * wi * wj. This is because in general, bodies are not isotropic and coordinate axis are arbitrary, so I_ij =/= 0 when i =/= j. However, due to symmetry, I_ij can be diagonalized in a special coordinate system, resulting in terms like wi² and thus wiwj. Similarly, for the second-order polarization, the electric field comes in with a certain direction and the expression is quadratic in \omega, resulting in terms like ExEy.
Niles
Hi

If i want to express the kinetic energy for some angular momentum, I can write

[tex]
T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{ij}{I_{ij}\omega_i\omega_j}
[/tex]

I cannot quite see why we have wiwj at the end, and not just wi2. It is not that obvious to me. I have read several examples regarding polarization and electric fields, and they make perfectly good sense. But in the case with the KE, I'm a little confused. Can somebody perhaps shed some light on this?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general bodies are not isotropic and coordinate axis are arbitrary, so I_{ij} =/= 0, i =/= j.
But since I_{ij} = I_{ji}, you can always choose axis in such a way that I_{ij} = 0, i =/= j.

quZz said:
In general bodies are not isotropic and coordinate axis are arbitrary, so I_{ij} =/= 0, i =/= j.
But since I_{ij} = I_{ji}, you can always choose axis in such a way that I_{ij} = 0, i =/= j.

Thanks. But does that also explain why wiwj at the end, and not just wi2?

Or e.g. another example: Why is it that we have two different factors of E in the expression for the second-order polarization?

[tex]
P_i^{(2)} = \sum_{jk}{\chi_{ijk}E_jE_k}
[/tex]

What I cannot understand in this case is that the electric field comes in with a certain direction, so why do we even consider elements such as ExEy?

In general, the expression quadratic in [itex]\omega[/itex] will have the form [itex]I_{ij}\omega_{i}\omega_{j}[/itex].

Since [itex]I_{ij}[/itex] is symmetric you can choose a special coordinate system where it is diagonal. In this special case you will have [itex]I_{11}\omega_1^2 + I_{22}\omega_2^2 + I_{33}\omega_3^2[/itex].

In the case with

[tex]

P_i^{(2)} = \sum_{jk}{\chi_{ijk}E_jE_k}

[/tex]

can we also always represent the choose a coordinate system where x it is diagonal?

don't know =) but what if not?

Niles said:
Thanks. But does that also explain why wiwj at the end, and not just wi2?
Sure it does. The i and j are different and terms like wxwy are not part of the sum over wi².

Related to Why is there a wiwj at the end in the kinetic energy expression?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity that depends on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy related to tensors?

Kinetic energy is related to tensors through the kinetic energy tensor, which is a second-order symmetric tensor that describes the energy density distribution of a moving object. This tensor is used in mechanics and fluid dynamics to study the motion and energy of objects.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy can be transformed into potential energy, and vice versa, but they are two distinct forms of energy.

Can kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, kinetic energy can be negative. This often occurs when an object is slowing down, as the velocity term in the kinetic energy equation is squared. A negative kinetic energy value indicates that the object is losing energy and its speed is decreasing.

How is kinetic energy related to temperature?

Kinetic energy is related to temperature through the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy and therefore the speed of the gas particles.