LJ78 Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new on this forum and looking for a little info on the LJ78 and the mechanical issues that are common with them, I know that the 2.5TD has a head issue but how bad is it and whats the fix. Also wondering if the 2.5 is noticeably under powered or not.

any info would be great.

Have you bought the vehicle already or looking into buying?

Theyre wicked little rigs. Ill never sell mine. I love it. However the time and money ive put into it (engine and tranny swap, suspension retrofit, guages.....) to get it how I wanted is a LOT.
As any cruiser head will tell you, you dont just drive a cruiser. It becomes a priority and a incurable addiction.

That said.. the lj 78 does have its own set of issues. Like others have said do a search and youll find lots of info.
The 2lte can live if taken care of, even perform well if modded correctly.
It is pretty underpowered, but gets pretty decent fuel mileage for its size.

Ive owned mine for 3+ years and I never once had the urge to sell. Even when the head gasket popped, turbo died, I blew a transmission line, and the thing was overheating like crazy. I saw the diamond it is and made it work for me.

I have not purchased it yet, just wanted to get a good idea of what to expect. I appreciate the info

ive owned the lj78. i sold it and bought one with a bigger engine, in my case a 1pz (glorious engine)

buy one with a bigger engine.

like a 13bt, a 1hz, or a 1pz. its a heavy body and needs the extra grunt. the difference between the 1pz and the 2lte was night and day.

I agree with the above. The LJ78 is a great machine with the exception of the engine. If you have any choice just stay away from it and buy a landcruiser with a 3.4l or bigger diesel. Don't try to save money buying an LJ78; you'll just spend more in the end. I bought mine running somewhat ok for $3500CAD. Ive put at least another $8000CAD (parts only!!) into it to baseline it and make decent power and reliablility.

I'm starting to think of looking at an 80 series instead, I would love a 70 but other then LJ's I'm having a hard time finding one

What's your location, budget, and intended use? Is four door necessary or would two doors be okay?

Hdj81 seem awesome with their engine full time 4 wd and a lot of them have lockers. Most come automatic if you're into that though. I was shopping for one not long ago for a friend in bc and it seems their prices are going up from what they were even though they are getting older

There are some hzj's for sale in bc last time I looked and I think even a pzj two door if its still around

80 series have increased in price here in Ireland too. theres still a lot of them about.

in another two years the HDJ81's can start heading south so I don't suspect prices to be dropping. I watched the same thing happen to the HJ61's. I bought my HJ61 because it seemed like a good cruiser to be used as a DD and could be had for less than 9K. That's not the case anymore.

If a HDJ81 is something that somebody lusts over, and they live in Canada, either get one now or wait until the HDJ100 becomes available.

Im in ontario, looking to spend around 10k, and I will be using the vehicle as an everyday around town driver and also weekend trips, and a few longer trips.

and 4 door is a must, those were some great links ill check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom